Details for St. Luke's Church (Atlas Number 5181011529)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181011529

Data

Marker Number 11529
Atlas Number 5181011529
Marker Title St. Luke's Church
Index Entry Saint Luke Church
Address 431 W. Woodard St.
City Denison
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 727766
UTM Northing 3737830
Subject Codes churches; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1969
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Fannin at Woodard St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Denison's oldest house of worship and oldest Episcopal sanctuary in Grayson County. Site given by Denison Town Company and visitation by the Ret. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, in May 1873. Cornerstone was laid in 1875 by the Rt. Rev. A. C. Garrett, bishop of Missionary District of Northern Texas. Church was consecrated by him in 1876. The original building forms nave of the present church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1969 Incise in base: Commemorative for 95th Anniversary, Oct. 18, 1968