Details for Samuel E. and Mary C. Marshall House (Atlas Number 5181012751)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5181012751

Data

Marker Number 12751
Atlas Number 5181012751
Marker Title Samuel E. and Mary C. Marshall House
Index Entry Marshall, Samuel E. and Mary C., House
Address 318 W. Walnut St.
City Whitewright
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 741827
UTM Northing 3711082
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style); women
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 318 W. Walnut St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Samuel E. and Mary C. Marshall House Civil War veteran Sam Marshall (1838-1911), his wife, Mary (1840-1924), and their family came from Kentucky to Grayson County in the late 1860s and moved to the new railroad town of Whitewright by 1880. After achieving success with their land investments and commercial businesses, the Marshalls built this Queen Anne Free Classic house in 1899-1900. The gabled roof, decorative woodwork, classical columns, porch and balcony are all notable elements of this style. After Mary Marshall's death in 1924, the house subsequently was owned and occupied by the Carter, Sanders and Stuteville families. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001