Details for First Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5183009954)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5183009954

Data

Marker Number 9954
Atlas Number 5183009954
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church
Index Entry First Prestyterian Church
Address 815 E. Main
City Kilgore
County Gregg
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 324017
UTM Northing 3584562
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Presbyterian denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Main and Lawrence St.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1850 as Gum Spring Presbyterian Church in the rural Danville community, this congregation moved to Kilgore in 1874 and later changed its name to First Presbyterian Church. built as a result of the 1930s oil boom, this sanctuary replaced an earlier structure at the corner of South and Rusk streets, where oil wells surrounded church property. Reflecting the Gothic style of architecture, the building features a large stained glass window and a tri-partite Gothic-arched entry. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989