Details for Rock Springs Schoolhouse (Atlas Number 5183009991)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5183009991

Data

Marker Number 9991
Atlas Number 5183009991
Marker Title Rock Springs Schoolhouse
Index Entry Rock Springs Schoolhouse
Address
City Gladewater
County Gregg
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 314756
UTM Northing 3597459
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 4.5 mi. south of Gladewater on Old Kilgore Rd. (Old 135) by Rock Springs Cemetery
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Built 1849, with donated labor and lumber. One-teacher school was taught here until 1930's. First teacher was J. C. Vernon. First trustees: Thomas G. Chisum, James "Squire" Dillingham, Joel Smith. (Smith donated the site.) Building was also used for church, Grange, socials, fraternal meetings, and political rallies. Community named for nearby springs. Settled by pioneers from Tennessee. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966