Details for St. Luke's United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5183009995)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5183009995

Data

Marker Number 9995
Atlas Number 5183009995
Marker Title St. Luke's United Methodist Church
Index Entry Saint Luke's United Methodist Church
Address 401 E. Main
City Kilgore
County Gregg
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 323760
UTM Northing 3584655
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); churches
Marker Year 1986
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Kilgore Methodist Society was organized in 1873 after many residents of New Danville (4 mi. NE) moved to Kilgore, founded in 1872 after the railroad arrived in 1871. They erected a school building in 1873 at Martin and North streets (1 blk. N) for the Rev. Isaac Alexander (1832-1919), who transferred his New Danville Masonic Female Academy to Kilgore, renaming it Alexander Institute. He also conducted Sunday services there until 1883. In that year the neighboring Methodist congregations of Kilgore, Crossroads, Danville, and Pirtle formed the Kilgore Methodist Circuit, with the Rev. F. J. Browning as first pastor. In 1894 the Institute (later renamed Lon Morris College) moved to Jacksonville. Kilgore Methodists continued to meet in the Institute chapel. In 1904 the chapel was moved one block southwest (across Martin Street from this site). It was replaced there in 1915 with a frame sanctuary which was burned by arson in 1931 during the Kilgore oil boom. This fieldstone sanctuary and the annex were built in 1932, and the 109-member Kilgore congregation became St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church, South, with the Rev. Bob L. Pool as the first full-time pastor. The Tudor Gothic buildings were designed by Paris, Texas architects Smith & Praeger. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985