Details for Harmon General Hospital Chapel (Atlas Number 5183011918)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5183011918

Data

Marker Number 11918
Atlas Number 5183011918
Marker Title Harmon General Hospital Chapel
Index Entry Harmon General Hospital Chapel
Address Harris Dr.
City Longview
County Gregg
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 338045
UTM Northing 3593568
Subject Codes hospitals; World War II; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Dorothy Speer Chapel, southwest of intersection of Stegall and Harris
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Authorized by the U. S. Army n 1942 and named for Col. Daniel Warrick Harmon, Harmon General Hospital was in operation from November 1942 to December 1945. This ecumenical chapel opened in January 1943. Protestant, Catholic and Jewish clergy served here. The hospital property was acquired by the Le Tourneau Foundation in 1946 for use as a college. Despite several years as a storage facility, the chapel retained enough of its original fabric for renovation in the late 1950s and again in 1983 when it was formally named Speer Chapel. The structure remains a well-preserved vernacular chapel. Its notable features include a front-facing gabled roof, center projecting entrance with the roof below a central steeple, and wood sash windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997