Details for Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station (Atlas Number 5183012759)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5183012759

Data

Marker Number 12759
Atlas Number 5183012759
Marker Title Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station
Index Entry Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station
Address 100 E. Cotton St.
City Longview
County Gregg
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 336493
UTM Northing 3596274
Subject Codes buildings; Neoclassical (architectural style)
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 100 E. Cotton St.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station The city of Longview was incorporated in 1871, and there is evidence of a volunteer fire department as early as 1887. A new city hall complex with fire station was constructed in 1905, but the 1930s East Texas oil boom and subsequent population explosion in Longview made the offices too small. In 1935, voters approved the issuance of bonds for the construction of a new municipal building and central fire station. Contractor A. M. Campbell completed this building in 1936. Combining Neoclassical and Mediterranean architectural influences popular at the time, the structure features a red tile roof and fossilized limestone veneer. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001