Details for Site of Piedmont Springs Resort (Atlas Number 5185008609)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5185008609

Data

Marker Number 8609
Atlas Number 5185008609
Marker Title Site of Piedmont Springs Resort
Index Entry Piedmont Springs Resort, Site of
Address
City Navasota
County Grimes
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 779147
UTM Northing 3380750
Subject Codes health resorts; inns, hotels, motels; water topics
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from the intersection of SH 6 and FM 3090 (Navasota) take FM 3096 north approx. 11.2 miles.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In operation as early as 1850 as health spa and resort because of three nearby sulphur springs (varying in taste from mild to strong). Numerous drinking places and bathhouses allowed guests to move freely about grounds. Grand four-story hotel with 100 rooms, built about 1860, was social center for area, where guests enjoyed billiards, poker, horse races, and Gen. Sam Houston once danced the Minuet. In 1865, hotel became hospital, headquarters for John G. Walker's "Greyhound Division", Confederate Army. Owner closed the building after losing money in panic, 1870s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967