Details for Los Nogales (Atlas Number 5187003128)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5187003128

Data

Marker Number 3128
Atlas Number 5187003128
Marker Title Los Nogales
Index Entry Los Nogales
Address 415 S River St
City Seguin
County Guadalupe
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 600415
UTM Northing 3271159
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; African American topics; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This structure was built in 1849 for German immigrant Justus Gombert. The one-room adobe structure, later stuccoed and enlarged, was owned from 1849 to 1859 by Joseph Zorn. After the Civil War, the property was used as a campground for members of the Freemen's Bureau. Ben McCulloch owned the property briefly in 1870. Demolition of the house was prevented as the first project of the Seguin Conservation Society in 1952. Los Nogales (Spanish for walnuts), as it is now known, was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1962. (1989)