Details for First Presbyterian Church of Memphis (Atlas Number 5191001843)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5191001843

Data

Marker Number 1843
Atlas Number 5191001843
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Memphis
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Memphis
Address
City Memphis
County Hall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 358999
UTM Northing 3843392
Subject Codes Neoclassical (architectural style); Presbyterian denomination; churches
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 8th & Robertson Streets, Memphis
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Established in 1890 under the leadership of the Rev. A. W. Rogers, this church began with thirteen members. This sanctuary, the second for the congregation, was completed in 1911, during the pastorate of the Rev. Dr. R. T. Caldwell. Built by member J. S. Cobb, it features neo-classical revival detailing in the use of arched windows and a domed roof. Interior furnishings include a large pipe organ originally, powered by water pressure. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1980