Details for Hall County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5191002337)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5191002337

Data

Marker Number 2337
Atlas Number 5191002337
Marker Title Hall County Courthouse
Index Entry Hall County Courthouse
Address 512 W. Main St
City Memphis
County Hall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 359322
UTM Northing 3843639
Subject Codes counties; courthouses
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 512 W. Main St
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In 1876, the Texas Legislature created Hall County, which organized in 1890 with Memphis as county seat. Two courthouses - a frame building facing the town aquare (1890-93) and a two-story brick building on this site (1893-1922) - preceded the current Classical Revival Building. During construction, commissioners court met in the Hall County National Bank. Architectural firm Page and Brother of Austin designed this three-story building with raised basement, built of reinforced concrete and structural clay tile with dark brick and cast stone veneer. All elevations have cast stone fluted composite order columns supporting entablatures and pediments at the entrances. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008