Details for Hamilton County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5193002347)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5193002347

Data

Marker Number 2347
Atlas Number 5193002347
Marker Title Hamilton County Courthouse
Index Entry Hamilton County Courthouse
Address
City Hamilton
County Hamilton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 583088
UTM Northing 3508040
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Courthouse lawn, Hamilton (JCT of U.S. 281 and SH 36)
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Before era of this impressive courthouse, Hamilton County's government was housed in stores, a rustic school, a former livery stable, a 2-story building with top floor especially designed for a courtroom, and briefly in a saloon. Fire razed two of the early, improvised courthouses. First permanent one, built 1878, also burned in 1886. In those days, outlaws were so numerous that guards were hired to protect visiting judges. This 1887 structure of native limestone, quarried 2 miles east of Hamilton, remained unchanged until it was remodeled in 1931.