Details for Hamilton National Bank (Atlas Number 5193002350)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5193002350

Data

Marker Number 2350
Atlas Number 5193002350
Marker Title Hamilton National Bank
Index Entry Hamilton National Bank
Address 101 E. Henry St.
City Hamilton
County Hamilton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 583096
UTM Northing 3508032
Subject Codes banks, bankers, banking topics
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Northwest corner of Town Square (Courthouse Square)(corner of US 281 and East Henry), Hamilton
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text J. T. James and Z. C. Law had the town's first drugstore in 1876. Law appointed postmaster, used a small safe in official duties. In 1881 Dr. George Perry bought Law's interest, but the safe remained in the store. The first bank in county began when James and Perry let friends keep bucksin bags of coins in the safe. This private bank was in service for several years. In 1890 Hamilton National Bank was chartered with Dr. George Perry, president; J. T. James, vice-president; J. L. Spurlin and J. A. Eidson, directors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.