Details for St. Paul's Lutheran Church (Atlas Number 5193005074)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5193005074

Data

Marker Number 5074
Atlas Number 5193005074
Marker Title St. Paul's Lutheran Church
Index Entry Saint Paul's Lutheran Church
Address
City Hamilton
County Hamilton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 589603
UTM Northing 3498833
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Hamilton, 7 miles southeast on FM 932 towards Aleman, then 1.5 miles south on FM 3340.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text A number of German immigrants settled in this area in the late 19th century. Initially known as Pleasant Point, the settlement was later renamed Aleman. Traveling Lutheran missionaries held worship services for the settlers until a congregation was officially organized. An evangelical Lutheran congregation was established on September 24, 1886, with fourteen families. Johannes Barthel was called as the first pastor, and the name adopted for the church was St. Paul's. The first worship service was held on October 3, 1886, in the nearby Pleasant Point schoolhouse. Although plans to build a sanctuary were begun in 1890, the building was not completed until 1900. The Rev. Emil F. Moerbe began a thirty-year ministry at St. Paul's in 1909. Worship services were conducted exclusively in the German language until 1913, when English services were introduced. Rudolf Krueger donated land across the road from the 1900 building for a new sanctuary. Designed by Emil Waiser, this building was completed in 1916. A fine example of the Gothic revival style of architecture, it features simple detailing, arched windows, and a central entry with extended porch. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1989