Details for Manning-Gordon-Henderson House (Atlas Number 5193011925)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5193011925

Data

Marker Number 11925
Atlas Number 5193011925
Marker Title Manning-Gordon-Henderson House
Index Entry Manning-Gordon-Henderson House
Address 121 S. Rice Avenue
City Hamilton
County Hamilton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 582959
UTM Northing 3507857
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Local contractor Louis V. Manning built this house between 1880 and 1885 on land inherited from his father, pioneer Exekiel Manning, and lived here until 1904. The John H. and Abbie Gordon family owned the house from 1907 to 1936 and the Oliver Dow and Minta Henderson family took up residence here in 1936. A simple example of a cross-gabled roof Queen Anne house, its distinguishing details include fish-scale textured gables, cutaway bay windows, and a front entry porch with ornamental posts and brackets and a jigsawn frieze. Also of interest is the unusual siding flanking the entry door. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999