Details for Kirby-Hill House (Atlas Number 5199011933)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5199011933

Data

Marker Number 11933
Atlas Number 5199011933
Marker Title Kirby-Hill House
Index Entry Kirby-Hill House
Address 210 Main St.
City Kountze
County Hardin
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 373606
UTM Northing 3360528
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; lumber topics; Classical Revival (architectural style); Victorian (architectural term)
Marker Year 1998
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Designed by Frank T. Smith of Beaumont and built in 1902, this was the home of James L. (1844-1922) and Martha Slater (1840-1907) Kirby. James Kirby was superintendent of the Kirby Lumber Company, founded by his brother John Henry Kirby. Most of the home's materials came from the Kirby Mills. Colonial revival and Victorian stylistic features include vertical siding, 48 pillars, curved walls, and six shingled gable ends. The house was inherited by the Kirby's daughter Lucy and her husband Austin M. Hill, Sr. Their descendants lived here until 1990. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998