Details for Original site of the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company (Atlas Number 5201012970)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5201012970

Data

Marker Number 12970
Atlas Number 5201012970
Marker Title Original site of the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company
Index Entry Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Original site of the
Address 2009-2011 Washington Ave
City Houston
County Harris
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 270009
UTM Northing 3295205
Subject Codes manufacturing
Marker Year 2002
Designations
Marker Location Houston, 2009-2011 Washington Avenue
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Original site of the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company The Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company, one of the first companies in the nation granted franchise rights for the distribution of Coca-Cola in bottles, opened its doors in a brick building on this site in 1902. J.T. Lupton of Chattanooga, Tennessee, was the primary owner. The initial purchase of syrup from the Coca-Cola Company consisted of 387 gallons of syrup, and bottled Coca-Cola was delivered by a mule-drawn wagon. In 1908, the company bought almost 3,000 gallons of syrup to meet the soda demand, which was growing along with Houston's population. In this location, they had one hand-operated bottling machine with a capacity of 250 cases a day. By 1915, sales of Coca-Cola had increased such that the company moved to larger facilities at 1212 Washington Avenue. In 1918, J.E. Evans became the plant's general manager, and during his tenure Houstonians continued to celebrate the soft drink sensation, prompting the company's continued growth. By 1948, C. Lupton Thomas, general manager, and J.E. Evans, president, developed plans for a new facility at 2800 Bissonnet. Lauded as the world's most modern Coca-Cola plant, the new million-dollar plant opened to the public in June 1950. For more than a century, the Houston Coca-Cola Bottling Company has provided jobs, as well as refreshment, to the City of Houston and surrounding areas. The company has consistently given back to the city through charity work and project funding. As one of the largest operations of its kind in the world, it continues its commitment to employees, customers and neighbors. (2003)