Details for Ebenezer Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5203010153)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010153

Data

Marker Number 10153
Atlas Number 5203010153
Marker Title Ebenezer Methodist Church
Index Entry Ebenezer Methodist Church
Address 908 Whetstone Ave.
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 370302
UTM Northing 3601460
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text On site used since 1867 for worship. First church was built and occupied 1868 when pastor was the Rev. Elijah Blair; second, 1892, under the Rev. Thomas Cole. The Rev. A. J. Newton began drive for third church, completed in 1958 under the Rev. J. F. Cox. Board chairmen in building eras were Mitchell Kendall, S. S. Reid, and Dr. T. L. Hunter. In century-long career, church has had 42 pastors. At centennial, pastor is the Rev. Simon Snell; chairman of trustees is Dr. N. H. Anderson. Ebenezer has been recognized as home church of bishops Willis J. King, J. B. Scott, and E. W. Kelly. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967