Details for LaGrone's Chapel (Atlas Number 5203010183)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010183

Data

Marker Number 10183
Atlas Number 5203010183
Marker Title LaGrone's Chapel
Index Entry LaGrone's Chapel
Address
City Hallsville
County Harrison
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1973
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Noonday Rd, 8 mi. N of Hallsville
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Situated on land owned by a pioneer, Jacob LaGrone (1785-1868), who settled here in 1837, as a citizen of Republic of Texas. Chapel was built about 1866, of timber sawed by Harleton's Mill (12 mi. N) and hand-dressed at construction site. T. B. McFarland supervised the work; neighbors donated their labor. Property was deeded Aug. 17, 1870, to Methodist denomination by David McKinney, purchaser of 200 acres from LaGrone's estate. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973