Details for Starr Family Home (Atlas Number 5203010187)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010187

Data

Marker Number 10187
Atlas Number 5203010187
Marker Title Starr Family Home
Index Entry Starr Family Home
Address 407 W Travis St.
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371267
UTM Northing 3601317
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; state official
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Starr Family Home State Historic Site. Replaced marker titled Maplecroft (1964).
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Dr. James Harper Starr (1809-1890) was a government official in the Republic of Texas and the Confederacy and a leading physician and businessman. In 1870, Dr. Starr and his son, James Franklin Starr (1844-1902), relocated their land and banking agency from Nacogdoches to Marshall, and bough this land for their homes. Frank Starr and his wife, Clara (Clapp) (1849-1925), built "Maplecroft", originally a two-story center passage Greek Revival style home which received later additions. The house remained in the family until 1976, when it was deeded to the State of Texas for public benefit. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964