Details for Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road (Atlas Number 5203010197)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010197

Data

Marker Number 10197
Atlas Number 5203010197
Marker Title Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road
Index Entry Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road
Address CR 2115 (Pine Bluff Road)
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 381249
UTM Northing 3606927
Subject Codes stagecoach routes, stands, etc.
Marker Year 1979
Designations
Marker Location in front of Pine Bluff Baptist Church
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Before the Civil War (1861-65), the stage road was the main transportation artery between Marshall and Shreveport, providing a link with New Orleans for distant markets. Extending northeast from Marshall, the stage road paralleled the later route of State Highway 43 and passed about 2.5 miles north of this site. Merging with the route from Jefferson, it turned southeast toward Waskom. In some areas, iron-rimmed wheels and horses' hooves trampled the narrow roadbed as much as 12 feet below the surrounding terrain. Travel over the dirt road was uncomfortable in dry weather and often impossible in rainy seasons. Regular stage service was established by 1850, with three arrivals and three departures weekly from Marshall. Arrival of the stage was a major event. At the sound of the driver's bugle, townspeople rushed to meet the incoming coach. By 1860 Marshall had several stagecoach lines and a network of roads. The Marshall to Shreveport line was operated by plantation owner William Bradfield and his son John. The stage continued to run during the Civil War, despite the shortage of drivers and horses. Use of the stage road declined after the war, when the Southern Pacific completed a rail line to Shreveport. (1979)