Details for Texas & Pacific Depot (Atlas Number 5203010219)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010219

Data

Marker Number 10219
Atlas Number 5203010219
Marker Title Texas & Pacific Depot
Index Entry Texas & Pacific Depot
Address N. Washington St. at Ginocchio
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371612
UTM Northing 3602394
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Praire School (Archictectural style); Mediterranean (architectural style)
Marker Year 1985
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Marshall's first railroad was conceived as a connection to Red River steamboat traffic. Twenty miles of track were laid northeast to Swanson's Landing on Caddo Lake by 1858. In 1871, the U. S. Congress authorized the Texas & Pacific Railway Company to build a transcontinental railroad, which would run along the 32nd parallel from Marshall to the West Coast. Two years later, the T&P moved its maintenance shops to Marshall. A new passenger depot was built here at the junction of the Texarkana and Louisiana lines in 1911-12, where it was positioned to serve both routes. To complement the nearby Ginocchio Hotel and huge Texas & Pacific shop complex, and visually to terminate Washington Street from the Courthouse. The railroad's architect was influenced by the popular prairie school and combined abstracted renaissance and Mediterranean details on the brick and concrete structure. Prominent features include a tile roof and wood and plaster accents. A pedestrian tunnel was added for safety in 1940. The Texas & Pacific depot remains an important symbol of Marshall's relationship to the railroad, once its major employer and transportation source. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985