Details for The Turner House (Atlas Number 5203010222)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203010222

Data

Marker Number 10222
Atlas Number 5203010222
Marker Title The Turner House
Index Entry Turner, James
Address 406 S. Washington Ave.
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371639
UTM Northing 3601286
Subject Codes municipal official; houses, residential buildings; law, lawyers
Marker Year 1979
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text George Gammon Gregg, a leading merchant, built this frame house during the early 1850s. According to family tradition, Confederate veteran James Turner (d. 1913) acquired title to the property after a poker game in 1866. Turner was a noted lawyer and served four years as mayor of Marshall. His son Robert (1868-1927) added the front porch, with its Victorian columns, in 1890. Members of the Turner family owned the residence for over 100 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979