Details for Todd-McKay-Wheat House (Atlas Number 5203012802)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5203012802

Data

Marker Number 12802
Atlas Number 5203012802
Marker Title Todd-McKay-Wheat House
Index Entry Todd-McKay-Wheat House
Address 506 W. Burleson
City Marshall
County Harrison
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371245
UTM Northing 3601639
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; pioneers; cowboys
Marker Year 2002
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 506 W. Burleson
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Todd-McKay-Wheat House Originally constructed before the Civil War and modified during the 1880s and again in 1909, this house is significant for its historical associations and for its representation as an evolutionary house form. In 1856, Mary Britt bought the property and married Judge William S. Todd, later a signer of the 1861 ordinance of secession. Although it is possible a structure was on the site when she purchased it. The increase in value at the time the Todds sold the property in 1858 points to construction of a house here during their ownership. North Carolina native Gilchrist McKay, also a signer of the secession ordinance, purchased the property from the Todds after he moved to Marshall to establish a law practice. During his service in the Confederate army, he was captured at Arkansas Post, imprisoned at Camp Chase (Ohio) and killed in the 1864 Battle of Mansfield. The house was sold in 1869 as part of his estate. After a series of subsequent owners, Naomi and William Wheat purchased the home. It was most likely during their ownership (1880-1888) that the two-story, full-length front porch with turned wood posts and jig-sawn brackets was added, in keeping with the Victorian tastes of the time. In 1909, Oscar Brown purchased the house and added a one-story section to the southeast corner. An engineer for the Texas and Pacific Railroad, Brown and his family resided here until 1926 and then leased the house until selling it in 1970. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001