Details for Hartley County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5205002400)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5205002400

Data

Marker Number 2400
Atlas Number 5205002400
Marker Title Hartley County Courthouse
Index Entry Hartley County Courthouse
Address corner 9th & Railroad
City Channing
County Hartley
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 741145
UTM Northing 3951857
Subject Codes counties; Beaux Arts; courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1987
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner 9th & Railroad, Channing
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Hartley County was created in January 1891, and an election held that year designated the town of Hartley as county seat. A frame courthouse was built on the town square. In October 1896, largely due to XIT Ranch interests, a second election was held which resulted in the removal of the county seat to Channing. The frame courthouse was dismantled and moved to the new county seat, where it was reconstructed. In May 1905 the commissioners court approved the construction of a new courthouse. Contracts were awarded to Solan & Wickens, contractors, and O. G. Roquemore, architect. The 2-story, structure was completed in October 1906 at a cost of $10,525. The beaux arts style building features a triumphal arch on the front facade, native sandstone base, and Roman Ionic paired columns. When completed, the top story provided a courtroom and two offices, and there were five offices and a lobby on the first floor. At the time of construction, the building was served by its own water well and lighting system. A vault was added to the county clerk's office in 1927. A second vault and jury dormitories were built in 1935. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1987.