Details for Channing United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5205011980)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5205011980

Data

Marker Number 11980
Atlas Number 5205011980
Marker Title Channing United Methodist Church
Index Entry Channing United Methodist Church
Address 719 Denver
City Channing
County Hartley
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 741315
UTM Northing 3952114
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; churches, eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner Denver & 8th Street, Channing
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The town of Channing was organized in 1890 as a general headquarters and supplier for the vast XIT Ranch. The Channing Methodist Church was organized in the fledgling town by the Rev. E. T. Harrison. Records indicate that it was the first Methodist church north of the Canadian River. The earliest members were A. G. Boyce, manager of the XIT Ranch, his wife Annie and their daughter Bessie; Bertie Cherveny, a plumber; Jacob P. McLain, the Rivers Hotel keeper and his wife Elizabeth; and Hereford cattle breeders James Powell and William and Marilla Powell. Trustees for the church purchased property on this site in 1901 and the building was completed by the following year. A fellowship hall and other additions were made in 1958. The Channing United Methodist Church continues in the traditions of its founders. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964