Details for First United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5209010271)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5209010271

Data

Marker Number 10271
Atlas Number 5209010271
Marker Title First United Methodist Church
Index Entry First United Methodist Church
Address 129 W. Hutchison St.
City San Marcos
County Hays
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 602199
UTM Northing 3306271
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text First church in Hays County. Organized August 5, 1847, with 9 charter members, by circuit rider A. B. F. Kerr in home of John D. Pitts. Growing congregation moved by 1849 to a log house used for church, courthouse, and school; braved wild animals and indians to hold worship. The first church building was erected on present site, 1855; second, 1872. Present building-- an excellent example of Gothic revival style-- was built in 1893. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970