Details for Old D. A. Young Building (Atlas Number 5209010340)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5209010340

Data

Marker Number 10340
Atlas Number 5209010340
Marker Title Old D. A. Young Building
Index Entry Young, D. A.
Address
City Kyle
County Hays
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 608270
UTM Northing 3318002
Subject Codes commercial buildings; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location nw corner of S. Burleson and Miller
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text First permanent store in Kyle. Builder, David Alexander Young (1841-1883), moved with parents to Texas from Tennessee, 1857. D. A. Young, one of 179 Hays County men in Civil War, was wounded fighting in Woods' 32nd Cavalry. When International & Great Northern Railway came into Kyle, Young and wife, Fannie Elizabeth, moved here from Mountain City. This 1881 building was given to city of Kyle in 1936 by M. G. Michaelis, Sr., early-day rancher. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968