Details for The Former Canadian Hospital (Atlas Number 5211005336)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5211005336

Data

Marker Number 5336
Atlas Number 5211005336
Marker Title The Former Canadian Hospital
Index Entry Canadian Hospital, The Former
Address 7th and Elsie Street
City Canadian
County Hemphill
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 375558
UTM Northing 3975201
Subject Codes hospitals; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location at intersection of 7th & Elsie Street, Canadian
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text This building, now a residence, was Canadian's first hospital, opened on June 16, 1917. Funds for construction were obtained by public subscriptions. Dr. H. C. Caylor, first owner, sold to Dr. L. V. Dawson in 1920. From 1924 to 1949, Dr. E. H. Morris was owner. A tornado that killed or hurt some 200 to 260 people in the Glazier-Higgins area (10 to 27 miles northeast) on April 9, 1947, dramatized worth of this hospital - the only one in the immediate vicinity. It was closed in 1949. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1970.