Details for Faulk-Gauntt Building (Atlas Number 5213010352)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5213010352

Data

Marker Number 10352
Atlas Number 5213010352
Marker Title Faulk-Gauntt Building
Index Entry Faulk-Gauntt Building
Address 217 N. Prarieville St.
City Athens
County Henderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 230881
UTM Northing 3566797
Subject Codes commercial buildings; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text An earlier building at this location housed the law offices of Senator J. J. Faulk and Judge W. L. Faulk. In the early 1890s the site was purchased by J. R. Gauntt, a local businessman. The son of pioneer area settlers, he operated a mercantile store, the Chany Tree, with his brother R. L. Gauntt, and later ran a monument business. In 1896 he commissioned the Hawn Lumber Company to build this two-story brick commercial structure near the rail lines, a primary business location in the early days of Athens. The upstairs area was first occupied by attorneys W. L. and J. J. Faulk. A native of Alabama, William Levin Faulk served as Henderson County judge, district clerk, and director of the Guaranty State Bank of Athens. His cousin James J. Faulk, born in Louisiana, served as county attorney, state representative, district attorney, state senator, special justice of the Texas Court of Civil Appeals, and the first mayor of the City of Athens. The downstairs area first housed the grocery store of Tom Barber. Other tenants in the Faulk-Gauntt Building have included dentists Dr. Dudley Payne and Dr. Thomas Matthews. The structure was later owned by descendants of W. L. Faulk. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981