Details for William Richardson (Atlas Number 5213010376)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5213010376


Marker Number 10376
Atlas Number 5213010376
Marker Title William Richardson
Index Entry Richardson, William
Address US 175
City Athens
County Henderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 223499
UTM Northing 3573666
Subject Codes settlements; pioneers; African American topics, cemeteries
Marker Year 1984
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Private Property No
Marker Location US 175 at Richardson Road, 6 mi. NW of Athens
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text (Dec. 6, 1805 - May 30, 1864) Born in South Carolina, William Richardson moved to Pickens County, Alabama in 1830. There he married Mary "Polly" Kilpatrick (1813-1889) on Feb. 13, 1834. Children born to them were John K., James J., Sara F., Margaret C., Martha E., William A., Peter M., Andrew J., Franklin P., Ann, Allen, Texana, Mary M., and Judeth. Richardson moved his family, slaves, and the families of his brothers, Steven Madison and Matthias, to Texas by wagon train, arriving at this location on Dec. 12, 1855. Richardson built a home (1 mi. NE) and became a successful planter. His "Three Circles" cattle brand was recorded in 1855. He was appointed to lay out one of the first roads between Athens and Kaufman. Highway 175 follows much of his original route. He and his brothers helped found the First Baptist Church in Athens. The slaves he brought to Texas were Dinah, Charles, Gin, Rachel, Washington, Henry, Tom, Harrison, Kate, Easter, Til, Carolina, Jane, Sam, Congo, Marion, Mimm, and Jube. All took the Richardson name, and most stayed on with the family after being freed. Later they and their descendants established the Sand Flat community (1 mi. NNE). William Richardson is buried in the family cemetery (1 mi. NE) along with his wife, two sons, and two grandchildren. Some of the slaves are buried there also. (1984)