Details for La Lomita Chapel (Atlas Number 5215002997)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5215002997

Data

Marker Number 2997
Atlas Number 5215002997
Marker Title La Lomita Chapel
Index Entry La Lomita Chapel
Address
City Mission
County Hidalgo
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 566997
UTM Northing 2893199
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Mission, take FM 1016 south about 5 miles to La Lomita Park
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Lands for La Lomita ("The Little Hill") Mission came from the 1767 Spanish grant of Joseph A. Cantu, and were donated in 1861. Used as farms and ranches, the lands supported the priests and their charities. The original chapel, built in 1865 at a campsite on Brownsville-Roma Trail has been rebuilt or restored two or more times. It was relocated at this present site in 1899. The city of Mission (5 miles north), Texas, was named for this significant landmark. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964.