Details for Old Hidalgo County Jail (Atlas Number 5215003744)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5215003744

Data

Marker Number 3744
Atlas Number 5215003744
Marker Title Old Hidalgo County Jail
Index Entry Hidalgo County Jail, Old
Address First and Flora
City Hidalgo
County Hidalgo
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 573756
UTM Northing 2886951
Subject Codes buildings; jails and prisons
Marker Year 1984
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location First and Flora
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Built in 1886 by S. W. Brooks, who also constructed the nearby courthouse, this jail served Hidalgo County during a turbulent period in its history, when outlaw raids were still occurring. The city's first newspaper, "The Hidalgo Advance," was published here from 1904 to 1908. The two-story jail, which features handmade brick and a corbeled cornice along the roofline, served the county until 1908, when the seat of government was moved to Chapin (now Edinburg). Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984