Details for Old Hidalgo County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5215003745)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5215003745

Data

Marker Number 3745
Atlas Number 5215003745
Marker Title Old Hidalgo County Courthouse
Index Entry Hidalgo County Courthouse, Old
Address First and Flora
City Hidalgo
County Hidalgo
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 573756
UTM Northing 2886951
Subject Codes buildings; courthouses
Marker Year 1964
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location First and Flora, Hidalgo
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text This building served as the Hidalgo County Courthouse from its construction in 1886 until the County Seat was moved to Chapin (later name Edinburg) in 1908. Made of brick from nearby Reynosa, Mexico, it originally was a two-story structure. Its cupola, roof, and second floor were destroyed in an early 20th-century fire. An important building during the county's formative years, the old Courthouse later served as an immigration and customs facility. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1963