Details for First Methodist Church of Hubbard (Atlas Number 5217001760)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5217001760

Data

Marker Number 1760
Atlas Number 5217001760
Marker Title First Methodist Church of Hubbard
Index Entry First Methodist Church of Hubbard
Address 208 North 2nd Street west
City Hubbard
County Hill
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 708445
UTM Northing 3525446
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; design and construction; Praire School (Archictectural style); churches
Marker Year 1991
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 208 North 2nd Street west, Hubbard
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text The first church congregation organized in Hubbard began in 1882 with seventeen charter members. A frame sanctuary, built on this site in 1891, was replaced by this structure in 1911. Designed by the Dallas architectural firm of Flanders and Flanders, the imposing building combines a strong horizontal emphasis and geometric detailing influenced by the prairie school style. Prominent design elements include twin towers and over 100 stained glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991