Details for Katy Depot (Atlas Number 5217002906)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5217002906

Data

Marker Number 2906
Atlas Number 5217002906
Marker Title Katy Depot
Index Entry Katy Depot
Address
City Hillsboro
County Hill
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 676531
UTM Northing 3543353
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; Praire School (Archictectural style); Eastlake
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location North Covington Street, just north of courthouse square, Hillsboro
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text This depot was built to serve the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) Rail Line, which reached Hillsboro in 1881. Completed in 1902, the station features elements of the Eastlake, Victorian, and Prairie styles. Early MKT trains carried materials for the growing town and brought early residents and such notables as presidents Woodrow Wilson, William Taft, Calvin Coolidge, and Harry Truman. The building was moved here from the original site in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980