Details for St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Atlas Number 5217005062)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5217005062

Data

Marker Number 5062
Atlas Number 5217005062
Marker Title St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Index Entry Saint Mary's Episcopal Church
Address 200 North Abbott Street
City Hillsboro
County Hill
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677303
UTM Northing 3543413
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; Episcopal denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style); Praire School (Archictectural style); churches
Marker Year 1987
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 200 North Abbott Street, Hillsboro
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text St. Mary's Mission was founded in the 1870s. On July 30, 1886, Bishop Alexander C. Garrett laid the cornerstone for the first church building, which was destroyed by a tornado in 1894. This building was completed in 1911, and St. Mary's became a parish in 1914. Featuring both Gothic revival and prairie school style influences, the structure is of brick construction with cast stone detail, a central entry porch, and a tower with battlements offset at the rear. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987