Details for J.D. and Georgia Brown House (Atlas Number 5221002672)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5221002672

Data

Marker Number 2672
Atlas Number 5221002672
Marker Title J.D. and Georgia Brown House
Index Entry Brown, J.D. and Georgia, House
Address 118 W. Bluff St.
City Granbury
County Hood
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 613901
UTM Northing 3589972
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; municipal official; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text This house was built in 1907 by the R.B. Spencer Lumber Company for Jefferson Davis (J.D.) (1853-1908) and Georgia Brown (1857-1946). By 1881 J.D. was owner/operator of an impressive dry goods store on the town square. He became a prominent banker and in the early 1900's was mayor of Granbury. The classical revival style house features a 2-tier porch with doric columns and victorian style angled bays at gable ends. The house remained in the Brown family until 1935.