Details for E. A. Hannaford Building (Atlas Number 5221012078)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5221012078

Data

Marker Number 12078
Atlas Number 5221012078
Marker Title E. A. Hannaford Building
Index Entry Hannaford, E. A., Building
Address 130 N. Houston St.
City Granbury
County Hood
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 613980
UTM Northing 3590137
Subject Codes commercial buildings; Italianate; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Born in England and reared in Ohio, E. A. Hannaford (1841-1915) served in the Union Army. He came to Granbury from Ohio in 1871, establishing his drugstore in a tent. He and merchant J. D. Baker had a two-part commercial building erected in the Italianate style in 1886. Among the first stone buildings in Granbury, it was commonly known as the "Arch Block." The cornice on this side advertised Hannaford's Drug and Book Store. "Doc" Hannaford became a prominent civic leader and businessman. After his death his nephew operated the drugstore. Early second-floor tenants included the "Granbury Graphics" newspaper, doctors' offices and a beauty parlor. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997