Details for W. D. and Essie Gafford House (Atlas Number 5221012623)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5221012623

Data

Marker Number 12623
Atlas Number 5221012623
Marker Title W. D. and Essie Gafford House
Index Entry Gafford, W. D. and Essie, House
Address 361 S. Caddo St.
City Lipan
County Hood
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Craftsman (Architectural style); houses, residential buildings; Business topics, women
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1 mile south of Lipan on FM 1189
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Constructed about 1916 for the family of William Doyle and Essie (Vandergriff) Gafford, this house is a good example of Craftsman bungalow design, popular in American architecture in the early 1900s. The Gaffords owned the general store in the Lipan community from 1911 until about 1929, in addition to farming and ranching enterprises on their Hood County property. W. D. Gafford (1894-1961) later operated city produce in Mineral Wells and established the local livestock auction. This historic farmhouse remained in the Gafford family throughout the 20th century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001