Details for Hutchinson County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5233002602)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5233002602

Data

Marker Number 2602
Atlas Number 5233002602
Marker Title Hutchinson County Courthouse
Index Entry Hutchinson County Courthouse
Address Located 5th and Main Streets
City Stinnett
County Hutchinson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 279404
UTM Northing 3967629
Subject Codes courthouses; courthouses; Spanish Renaissance Revival (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1995
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location S.H. 207, Courthouse Square, Stinnett
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Hutchinson County, named for prominent judge and writer Anderson Hutchinson, was one of 54 counties created out of the District of Bexar in 1876 by the Texas Legislature. It was not until 1901, however, that the county was officially organized. That year a temporary county courthouse was erected in the county seat of Plemons. A permanent courthouse was built in Plemons by contractor E. E. Ackers. Stinnett replaced Plemons as Hutchinson County Seat in 1926. The county courthouse was temporarily housed in an office building in downtown Stinnett in 1926 before this courthouse was erected in 1927 at a time of major oil discoveries in the area. Designed by Amarillo architect W. C. Townes and built by local contractor C. S. Lambie & Company, the Spanish renaissance revival style building also housed the county jail. It features brick construction with cut-stone ornamentation, a 3-bay primary facade with grand entry bay, raised basement with end entries, metal sash windows and second floor window with round-arch stone lintels. Friezes at the east and west entrances of the courthouse depict the petroleum, farm and ranch, and cattle industries, historically the three principal commercial enterprises in the area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1962.