Details for Jacksboro's First Railroad Depot (Atlas Number 5237002700)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5237002700

Data

Marker Number 2700
Atlas Number 5237002700
Marker Title Jacksboro's First Railroad Depot
Index Entry Jacksboro's First Railroad Depot
Address
City Jacksboro
County Jack
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 578158
UTM Northing 3674662
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads; women, women's history topics
Marker Year 1974
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location at end of Depot Street, at east gate of Fort Richardson State Historical Park
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Built 1898 of native stone by Risley Brothers of Jacksboro, for the Chicago, Rock Island & Texas Railway, on site bought from F. F. Foscue (1819-1906), a Texas legislator, owner of Fort Richardson lands. In typical railroad architecture, the depot housed waiting rooms and offices. Mrs. Edith Wilmans, a local rancher, Texas' first (1923) woman legislator, often traveled from this station. The Rock Island system sold the structure in 1973 to Texas Export Railroad Company. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1974.