Details for Texana Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5239005238)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5239005238

Data

Marker Number 5238
Atlas Number 5239005238
Marker Title Texana Presbyterian Church
Index Entry Texana Presbyterian Church
Address FM 1822/510, S. Apollo Dr.
City Edna
County Jackson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 728408
UTM Northing 3208437
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location FM 1822/510, S. Apollo Dr., Edna (near SE city limits)
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The earliest Presbyterian Church in Jackson County, the Texana congregation was formed in 1855 under the leadership of John Adams Brackenridge. The fellowship was established in Texana (6 miles SE), now a ghost town. But while the county seat and a thriving river port in 1859, the members constructed this frame sanctuary. It was moved along the New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad. Later used as a warehouse, it now serves as a reminder of the pioneer area settlers of antebellum Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1981

Images

Texana Presbyterian Church (RTHL)
Texana Presbyterian Church (RTHL)