Details for First National Bank Building (Atlas Number 5245010521)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5245010521

Data

Marker Number 10521
Atlas Number 5245010521
Marker Title First National Bank Building
Index Entry First National Bank Building
Address 495 Orleans St.
City Beaumont
County Jefferson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 394066
UTM Northing 3328476
Subject Codes banks, bankers, banking topics; commercial buildings; Art Deco
Marker Year 1989
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Founded on April 9, 1889, the First National Bank of Beaumont enjoyed an economic revitalization in the 1930s after the area's second major oil boom. A special meeting of the bank's board of directors was held on January 16, 1935, to discuss plans to erect a new building. Present at the meeting were board members W. C. Gilbert, P. B. Doty, E. E. Plumly, C. H. Cambers, T. F. Rothwell, J. S. Gordon, W. P. H. McFaddin, Dr. Tom Andrus, Stuart Smith, H. A. Dodd, J. H. Phelan, Robert Corley, C. E. Broussard, and T. S. Reed. The two architectural firms of Steinman, Steinman, & Goldman and Stone & Pitts were chosen to design the new building, and the construction contract was awarded to the Knutson Construction Company. The bank moved into the building in February 1937, with armed guards employed to move the cash deposits. Outstanding features of the art deco limestone and granite building include stepped-back massing and decorative friezes depicting various aspects of banking and such local industries as shipping, lumber, agriculture, and oil. The bank continued to operate in this building until 1963, when it moved to new facilities across the street. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989