Details for Saint Anthony's Cathedral (Atlas Number 5245010560)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5245010560

Data

Marker Number 10560
Atlas Number 5245010560
Marker Title Saint Anthony's Cathedral
Index Entry Saint Anthony's Cathedral
Address 700 Jefferson Street
City Beaumont
County Jefferson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 393913
UTM Northing 3327948
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1980
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Traveling priests visited this area as early as the 1850s, conducting Catholic services outdoors, in homes, and later in the town Temperance Hall. The first church building was constructed in 1881 under the leadership of the Rev. V. Quinon. Located on the corner of Bowie and Orleans streets, the small wooden structure was dedicated as St. Louis Church. The building was moved to this location in 1894. One year later a school was started here by Mother Pauline and sister Augustine of the Dominican Order. Classes were held in the church rectory until 1896, when a separate schoolhouse was constructed nearby. As the population increased during the Beaumont oil boom of the early 1900s, parishioners began planning for construction of a new church building. Started in 1903, this Italian Renaissance revival structure was completed four years later and named in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua. It features a copper dome and an ornate marble altar. Additional buildings, including the convent and rectory, were constructed during the 35-year pastorate of Monsignor E. A. Kelly, 1919-54). Pope Paul VI created the Beaumont Diocese in 1966, and Saint Anthony's was designated a cathedral. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980