Details for Church of the Holy Comforter (Atlas Number 5251000860)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5251000860

Data

Marker Number 860
Atlas Number 5251000860
Marker Title Church of the Holy Comforter
Index Entry Church of the Holy Comforter
Address
City Cleburne
County Johnson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 652018
UTM Northing 3580146
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 209 East Wardville, Cleburne
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text As early as 1860, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, visited Johnson County. This parish, first in the county, was formed 1871; the Rev. Robert S. Nash was first rector. First church building in Cleburne (NE corner, Henderson and Robinson) was completed by congregation of the Holy Comforter in 1874. Present church, built 1893 during ministry of the Rev. W. W. Patrick, has been in continuous use, and is preserved in original state. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970