Details for Avoca Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5253000252)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5253000252

Data

Marker Number 252
Atlas Number 5253000252
Marker Title Avoca Methodist Church
Index Entry Avoca Methodist Church
Address
City Avoca
County Jones
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 432996
UTM Northing 3636752
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Howard Street
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This church grew from an 1887 brush arbor camp meeting in the Spring Creek community of Avo (1.5 miles west), conducted by the Rev. J. H. Wiseman, a Methodist circuit rider. The congregation moved to the new railroad town of Avoca when the present sanctuary was completed in 1906. The original steeple was later destroyed by a storm, and the belfry was added in 1953 under the supervision of the Rev. Joe Grimes to house two railroad locomotive bells. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1981.