Details for First United Methodist Church of Anson (Atlas Number 5253001880)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5253001880

Data

Marker Number 1880
Atlas Number 5253001880
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Anson
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Anson
Address 832 Commercial St.
City Anson
County Jones
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 415990
UTM Northing 3624951
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; Romanesque/Richardsonian Romanesque (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text This congregation was organized in 1882 by the Rev. J. C. Strickland, a pioneer Methodist circuit rider. In 1908, during the pastorate of the Rev. W. H. Terry, local builder Thomas Veitch constructed this Romanesque Revival building for the church. The original bell tower was eventually lowered to avoid possible wind damage. Later additions to the sanctuary reflect the growth of the church, a leader in Anson's development for over a century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1982