Details for Swenson Ranch Commissary (Atlas Number 5253011984)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5253011984

Data

Marker Number 11984
Atlas Number 5253011984
Marker Title Swenson Ranch Commissary
Index Entry Swenson Ranch Commissary
Address 200 S. Swenson St.
City Stamford
County Jones
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; buildings
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The Texas Central Railroad and the SMS Ranch collaborated to create the town of Stamford in the late 1890s. Built about 1900, this building was strategically locate to serve as the central supply storage facility for the four extensive Swenson Ranches in west Texas: Tongue River, Spur, Throckmorton and Flat Top. the utilitarian structure was constructed of Lueders stone, and located adjacent to the railroad tracks. Supplies were off-loaded from the trains and stored until the various ranch foremen could come into town to collect their supplies and exchange news. The building is a reminder of Stamford's origins. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999