Details for Ox-Cart Road (Section of Chihuahua Road) (Atlas Number 5255003892)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5255003892

Data

Marker Number 3892
Atlas Number 5255003892
Marker Title Ox-Cart Road (Section of Chihuahua Road)
Index Entry Ox-Cart Road (Section of Chihuahua Road)
Address
City Helena
County Karnes
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 614945
UTM Northing 3203156
Subject Codes Exploration and expeditions; Spanish immigrants/immigration; roads
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Old courthouse Square, FM 81, Helena
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text After centuries of use by buffalo and Indians, this trail from San Antonio to the Texas coast gained importance when opened to colonial travel by the Alarcon Expedition in 1718. Spanish conquistadores and priests, the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition (which invaded Spanish Texas in 1812), Stephen F. Austin, Alamo heroes, Santa Anna's messenger ordering the death of prisoners at Goliad, Polish and German settlers of Texas-- all traveled on road. Rich trade in gold, silver, and leather with Mexico and the West was conducted along the road from San Antonio to Powderhorn. The U.S. 2nd Cavalry Forts, established to protect the Texas frontier, moved men and supplies over it. Materials were transported in two-wheeled ox-carts, prairie schooners, Wells-Fargo wagons drawn by sixteen mules, and by pack animals. In 1852 Helena was founded on road as a midway point between San Antonio and Goliad; Lewis S. Owings operated a daily stage line here, 1854. Major incidents of the Bizarre Cart War of 1857 between Texan and Mexican teamsters occurred near Helena. Herds of longhorns from South Texas crossed the road here enroute to market. After the railroad came through county in 1886, the Ox-Cart Road was abandoned.